.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Donald Lathrom

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Not Only Unbelievable, But Inconceivable

For most Americans, the crime I relate here lies so far outside their experience that my allegations are dismissed as either hyperbole or dementia. Many doubt that any great number of people would actively become involved. Others doubt that anyone would take the time and energy to organize such an effort. For some, the motivations of the Koreans involved are hard to fathom. Others do not understand how those perpetuating such a crime, could easily rationalize it. I will deal briefly with each objection in turn. In subsequent posts, I will elaborate, which will give you, dear reader, something to contemplate either with relish or horror.
First, although uncomfortable to contemplate, it is easy to acquire and audience for such a crime. Once begun, it quickly becomes self-sustaining. Tens become hundreds, hundreds become thousands and thousands become tens of thousands. Continued success requires only that the object remains a stranger, has no means of countering the lies and continues to circulate throughout the city.
Secondly, regarding the organization of this crime, little is required if you are part of an ethnic group spread strategically throughout the city. I must speculate at this point since the actual details are unavailable to me. I rely on my experience and what little has been related to me by others. I have been told that a picture was utilized, which would surely explain how such an effort could be organized so readily on a citywide scale. I assume that pre-existing immigrant and business groups were co-opted for this effort. This much I do know. I immediately started encountering hostility with a very distinct personality wherever I traveled. Initially the perpetrators were individuals of an East Asian appearance. As time passed, however, I increasing observed East Asians stopping people on the street, pointing to me as they engaged them in conversation. The reactions of those buttonholed varied considerably, but many took an unseemly interest. The hostility I was experiencing escalated rapidly. I would test my observations by walking leisurely through a strange neighborhood, casually noting those around me. I would return in a day or two, taking the same route at more or less the same time of day. Not only was I no longer a stranger, but I was distinctly recognizable-an object of hate, amusement or contempt. I have been asked quite innocently how I knew "it" was going on. I think on a moment's reflection, dear reader, that if something comparable happened to you that you would know immediately.
Thirdly, regarding motivation, I can only offer informed speculation. Just prior to the onset of this crime, I was treated with extreme hostility in quick succession at two different Korean delis in my neighborhood. I was shocked, particularly since I had so openly expressed my delight that they had opened businesses in the area. A friend, who lived in the neighborhood, told me that one of "their women" had said something "nice" about me. I suspect that it was a little more than that as he asked me, if I had ever flirted with any of the women working there. I answered no, of course not. I did nothing more than smile and offer the most conventional pleasantries. At the time it didn't seem important. I know that I didn't do anything. In hindsight, knowing what I do regarding the traditional roles of women in Korean society, I am convinced that I simply became some sort of symbol in a difficult, ongoing conflict within this community regarding the status of women that was provoked by moving to this country.
Fourth, regarding rationalizing an organized effort such as this, in a shame-based culture few would question the appropriateness of the action. In these societies social norms are maintained by collective activity designed to wound or isolate the identified transgressor. The conformity that one observes in East Asian society rests on an intense fear of the potential punitive action of their fellow citizens. Once the Koreans had convinced themselves that I was morally deficient and a public health threat, their culture would not only condone their behavior, but would endorse it. Obviously, this is a gross simplification. I will expand on the dynamics of a shame-based culture in subsequent posts.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home